Skip to main content

test

this is purely a test post

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the right direction, perhaps ?

i've been toying around with a PHP framework called symfony . actually i wanted to know what MVC ( Model-View-Controller ) was, and i am really comfortable with PHP, so downloaded a copy and made a sandbox on my xampp htdocs directory. after i started playing around it just hit me that how much programming has simplified over the 12 years since i wrote my "hello world" program in c. where 150 people were needed to code a simple website back then, that too in about a year, now things can be done with just one or two programmers in about a fortnight. i think thats awesome. computers are finally doing what they were invented to do - to reduce human work. one really interesting thing is the askeet tutorial. here they guide you through making a replica of their site over 24 days, with each tutorial taking not more than one and a half hours to completely understand and implement. Also the symfony site itself is created on symfony, and that's really cool. ok, what hit me

a keeper from kiterunner

today was watching kiterunner. awesome movie. it was this dialog that hit me hard - "Now, no matter what the mullah teaches, there is only one sin, only one. And that is theft. Every other sin is a variation of theft... When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal his wife's right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone's right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness... There is no act more wretched than stealing, Amir."

Wicktionary Bookmarklet

A bookmarklet is defined by Wictionary as "A small piece of JavaScript code stored as a URL within a bookmark". I have been using bookmarklets to make my life easier from a long time. Some that I use regularly are [Read Now] : This makes it really easy for me to read pages which are unreadable. [Google Translate] : Translates pages [Mobilise This] : Formats the page for mobile viewing by Google. [Acronym lookup] : This helps me find the meanings for abbreviations. The links in [] brackets are bookmarklets. Just drag them to your bookmark bar. I picked these up from these two pages. There is also a whole website dedicated to them bookmarklets. As a developer, what i like about bookmarklets is that they are coded in JavaScript and i can meddle with them till my heart's content, without worrying about breaking anything. However, i wanted a bookmarklet that would allow me to look up meaning of words. Wiktionary was my open dictionary of choice. They d